Paper Crafting Terminology and Abbreviations

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:35 am
Location: Australia

Paper Crafting Terminology and Abbreviations

Postby Kylie » Mon May 23, 2016 7:23 pm

When starting out, all the terminology and their abbreviations can be daunting when first looking online. Here is a list of terms and abbreviations for products and techniques that will be helpful to you should you get a bit 'lost'.

    A2 – This is the standard size for US-based cards. An A2 card is a letter-sized sheet of cardstock cut in half, for a finished size of 4.25″ by 5.5″ when folded.
    Adhesives – A substance used to adhere things together. Types of adhesive include liquid, tape runners, double sided adhesives, and more.
    ATG – Adhesive Transfer Gun. It’s a tool that dispenses double-sided adhesive. An inexpensive ATG can be purchased here, as well as the tape refills.
    Banners, Badges and Blinkies – Banners, Badges and Blinkies are graphics you can use to decorate your blog sidebar and let people know you support a company or cause.
    Brayer – A brayer is like a paint roller for ink.
    Burnish – Burnish means to rub or smooth. It’s often used in the context of using adhesives. It is important to rub or press firmly to set the adhesive and keep the parts from coming apart.
    Cardstock – The foundation of our cards, cardstock is thicker than writing paper and comes in a variety of colors and textures.
    Colouring Mediums – Cardmakers use a variety of mediums for colouring stamped or digital images. Some of these include chalk, coloured pencils, watercolour pencils, markers, and alcohol markers
    Crimp – A crimper is a tool that operates like a clothes wringer, and wrinkles paper into a corrugated texture.
    CS – Abbreviation for Cardstock.
    Die Cut – An image that has been cut or punched out of paper, chipboard or fabric into a desired shape.
    Digi Stamping – Many cardmakers use digital images rather than rubber stamps for their cards.
    Distressing – Distressing adds an aged or weathered look. There are many distressing techniques, including sanding, sponging, and tearing or roughing edges.
    DP or DSP – Abbreviation for Designer Paper or Designer Series Paper.
    DTP – Abbreviation for Direct to Paper, meaning the ink is applied directly to the paper without using a stamp.
    Easel cards – Fancy folded cards that stand “up” like an easel. These can be made in various shapes - Easel card, Popup Easel Card, Round Easel Card
    Embellishment – Decorative elements added to cards, such as flowers, ribbons, or brads.
    Embossing or Dry Embossing – Creating a raised pattern or image on paper by either rubbing with a stylus or using a tool such as a Cuttlebug, Big Kick, or Big Shot.Debossing is the reverse, where the image is the indented portion.
    Eyelet – A small metal ring, designed to reinforce a hole in paper or fabric. Eyelets can also be used as a decorative element. Tools are required to “set” eyelets.
    Flickr – Flickr is a photo-sharing website. Cardmakers who do not have blogs of their own can use a site such as Flickr to share photos of their cards
    Heat Embossing – A process in which a quick-melting powder is heated to create a raised design on paper or cardstock.
    Ink – For stamping, ink comes in a variety of types. Dye or Classic ink is fast drying for a crisp image. Craft or Pigment ink is thicker and dries more slowly. Distressing ink has less pigment and is designed to be easily blended and give paper an aged look.
    Light Box -A light box is a tool used for viewing or tracing images OR for placing items inside to photograph.
    Masking - Using paper to cover a portion of the card and keep it from being inked.
    Origami – Origami is the art of folding paper into different objects.
    Paper Piecing – Using cut shapes of paper to create or enhance a picture.
    Paper Piercing – Creating a pattern in paper or cardstock with pierced holes.
    Pinterest – a photo sharing site in which images can be “pinned” for later reference to the site.
    PP – Abbreviation for Patterned Paper.
    Punches -Punches are tools that cut paper into decorative shapes.
    Quilling – Creating decorative designs using rolled strips of paper.
    Ribbon – Ribbon comes in a variety of textures and widths and is often used as an embellishment on cards. Some types of ribbon are: brocade, chiffon, grosgrain, satin, and taffeta.
    Scoring – Pressing a groove into paper, usually to make it easier to fold.
    Score Tool – A scored plastic board with measurements on it, for creating measured scores in papercrafts.
    Stamps - these can be rubber, or photopolymer (clear) with images for stamping on to cardstock.
    Stickles – Stickles is a paint product with glitter mixed in it.
    Vellum – Semi-translucent paper similar to parchment.
    Watermark – In the context of online photographs, a watermark is a statement of the name and/or web address of the creator to let viewers know that the card was created by that person.

Challenge Blog Terminology

    Blog – A blog (short for weblog) is your own spot on the internet where you can share whatever you like. Many crafters have blogs hosted on “Blogger” through Google or "Wordpress"

    AG - Anything Goes
    CAS – Clean and Simple
    CASE – Stands for “Copy and Share Everything.” The best inspiration for cardmaking comes from admiring other people’s cards
    DT – Abbreviation for Design Team. These are crafters who apply for and are accepted as designers for a challenge blog or craft company.
    Sketch – A sketch is a suggested design for a card, providing general elements and their placement on a card.

Please note that this is not a complete list. More will be added over time. If you have come across something that isn't listed here, please create a thread in the Craft Discussion Forum and we will help you :)

Return to “Papercraft”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

  •  Search
  • Advanced search

  •  Clock

  •  Birthdays
  • No birthdays today
    In the next 30 days
    genson986 (32)

  •  Link to us
  • Please feel free to link to . Use the following HTML: